Monday 23 July 2012

MY GLEN



Take me back once again
To my beloved Irish glen
Where fading eyes may look
On verdant meadow and babbling brook

Let their beauty fill my eyes
Before breath in aching body dies
Then I never more shall see
The place that means so much to me

When in days of wondering childhood
Beside a sparkling stream I stood
Watched its waters running by
Listening to a curlew cry

Wildflowers in a meadow crept
Tossed leaves of trees, heads windswept
Hills standing still in distant view
In the haze of sun appearing blue

Most contentment I knew was when
I walked in my beloved glen
But no more I shall it roam
For God is gently calling me home

Some day now I shall depart
When death’s chill hand stills my heart
But I know a fairer land above
Outshines this glen that I love

When my body lies in this glen
My soul it shall see heaven then
Where more beauty shall be seen
Than my glen of emerald green

My road has reached its final bend
To a fairer land I shall ascend
But I cannot journey to the golden shore
Until my body rests in my glen once more

Colin Moffett

2 comments:

  1. You are such a talented young man, Colin! .. Love My Glen.. you just keep blowing me away with your writing.. God Bless dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww thank you so much Gerti. I thought I had better write this now than wait until it was too late!! God bless

    ReplyDelete