Thursday 8 April 2010

ANOTHER GOSPEL

The tired old preacher stood in his pulpit
Bent and grey haired with age
He slowly opened his battered Bible
Leafing over it page by page

Then he looked over his congregation
Waiting to hear what he would say
As he closed his Bible shut
He said, my sermon will be different today

I have preached here fifty years or more
The gospel that I thought I knew
But now I don’t really know
If I have been preaching the truth to you

I have told you the Bible is trustworthy
I have told you to believe in its word
For this book was inspired by God
Almighty, sovereign and Lord

Now to my shame I must say it
I have been on the internet
Reading the opinions of men
Something I am beginning to regret

So I am trying to bring you this sermon
Although it’s even confusing to me
But learned men who profess to be Christian
Say this is the way it should be

Now excuse me if I stumble
And lose my way here and there
For they have so many theories
Added to so often I am aware

The old preacher raised his voice
Though feeble his words rang clear
Listen to me my dear flock
And the Gospel of men you will hear

In the beginning God created
Then maybe again He did not
Perhaps He allowed some evolution
To help make us this human lot

We must not believe the entire Bible
Pick and choose what you like best
For scientist have proved so much
That this Book does not stand the test

I have read that God was confused
And maybe did not know how to count
When He said six days of creation
How could He do it in that amount?

Now these are the words of those
Who say they believe in His name
But of course they know much more
Than God himself to His shame!

I used to know the Gospel so well
Sure I learned it at my Mother’s knee
But since I went and read some debates
I wonder just what she was teaching me!

She told me God loved all the world
Now it seems He loves just a few
And even the one’s He has chosen
Can lose their salvation its true

I preached to you from the Bible
That was given to me by my Mother
I believed in her Saviour too
But now they tell me I should not bother

For how can you believe His word
His sayings are so way out
They have so messed with my mind
That they have made this old preacher doubt

Then the preacher raised his voice again
Listen my friends unto me
If we had not God’s Holy Word
Then this is how all my sermons would be!

But I have in my hand this wondrous book
I have read its every page
I believe it is God’s will revealed
To debate with Him I won’t engage!

I will preach its glorious truths
This old time Gospel pure and true
And rest assured my little flock
I will never preach another Gospel to you!

Colin Moffett

No comments:

Post a Comment