Thursday 24 October 2013

THE YEARS


Tell me man what have you learned
In the years since your childhood
Are dreams fulfilled or lie in shreds
Have all the lessons been understood

 As a little boy you suffered much
A tender heart was sorely pained
Now the years have quickly gone
Tell me of knowledge that you gained

You give your heart to Him above
Jesus was your childhood friend
Did you walk with Him each day
Of all the years that He did send

Yes I have learned so many things
That memories never fade away
Of pain and tears and childhood lost
Terrible price of it paid every day

To love you must give of your heart
But sometimes it will bring you pain
To work for riches or please oneself
No happiness from either will you gain

I have learned to be wise
To judge if friends are really true
Who to trust to share my heart
For friends like these are very few

But most of all I have learned
In happiness and falling tears
The One I trusted long ago
Has been with me through all the years

I have learned more of His love
This wondrous Saviour who held a boy
Who wrapped His arms round him tigh
Giving to him His peace and joy

Dreams are fleeting don’t really matter
Of not His will dashed can be
To learn His word is knowledge gained
 Knowing from sin I am set free

Lessons taught some hard to learn
Some of them never understood
But I never question for I know
He uses them for my eternal good

Many things yes learned in my living
In sunshine mountain and valley tears
Boy to man, and growing older
Soon death will call and no more years

Hear you then of my knowledge
Gained by tribulation hopes and fears
That you put your hand in that of Jesus
Walk with Him down through your years

Colin Moffett

No comments:

Post a Comment