Sunday 14 June 2009

A COUNTRY POET



I breathe the air on the Tully hillside
As I view the vista wide
Of its abundant treasures I take note
For I am simply a country poet

To tell in rhyme the best I can
Of sunlight dancing on the River Bann
And in the distance far away
The gleaming waters of sweet Lough Neagh

In reflective thought I stand alone
To view the village of Portglenone
In the distance beneath sky of blue
The Sperrin Mountains are in view

As I turn in wonder all around
I see Slemish Mountain rise from the ground
Shades of green in every field
Or ploughed brown to bring forth yield

A panoramic view I see it all
My home in the distance looking small
To my Creator I will devote
The praise of my heart, His country poet

For I am of the country and the country in me
A town or a city is where I can’t be
It would break my heart not to walk hillside or glen
Or wade the stream of flowered meadow again

Thank you Lord for giving me this land
To view its beauty created by your hand
Another thing I surely must note
Is thank God for making me His country poet

Colin Moffett

4 comments:

  1. A true country Boy at heart..and on the land..
    Praise be to God..For this country poet man..
    God Bless you..Colin Moffett and my you keep writing for the Lord..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Patty for your lovely comment. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Colin, this speaks to every country girl and boy ... I was born in the country and all my family lived there so i spent a lot of time in the woods and hills and creeks and really miss it.... Lovvvvvvvvvvvvvve this poem my friend !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Judy for your lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete