Saturday 6 June 2009

SUMMER HEAT



We scold about the cold, the wind and the rain
When the sun peeks out then we’re at it again
Our summer comes around, it’s wet every day
Then its grows hot and we’re melted away

Like me and the wife when we set off in the car
It was boiling inside as the sun melted the tar
We headed to the beach for a paddle and a wade
She wanted no sunburn so she sat in the shade

Complaining all the while about the sand on her feet
Rejoicing in the cooling shade and out of the heat
Not like me the fool man with nothing on his head
Out in the sun and my scalp turning red

I headed for the sea to dip in a toe
Then rolled up trouser legs and in further did go
Now I was up to the knees, I felt really brave
For at any moment I could have been swept away by a wave!

I listened to the ocean, the seagulls and kids scream
Then headed up the beach to get an ice cream
I rejoined the wife with a cone and handed her a ninety nine
Licked and slurped away and ate them just fine

I looked across the beach at the people on sand and in sea
Thinking, in one hundred years, not one of them would be
Enjoying themselves in the water or on the golden shore
For the sand of time would have ran out and they would be no more

Like generations before us who knew the summer sun
Their sunshine rays have gone forever for their lives have been run
The water of the sea has bathed many bodies in her waves
How many washed themselves in the blood of the Lamb who saves

A countless number have gone like the grains of the sand
How many were held in the going by God’s own hand
Summer days may get hot and in the heat it is no fun
But I pray you rejoice in the sunshine of God’s own Son

Colin Moffett

No comments:

Post a Comment