Thursday 8 February 2024

THE BABBLING BROOK


 

I sat today by the gently babbling brook

Its liquid voice singing so clear
It's melody sweeping over the pebbles and stone
Whispering its story into my ear

Sheltered, my rest under an old oak tree

My eyes on the water running by
The shade of the bough closed me in
From the glare of the sun in a clear blue sky

Countless times the waters of the gentle stream

Have washed the pebbles and stones held below
Their roughness and hard edges all smoothed away
By the babbling brook and her constant flow

I know of a stream where I once plunged in

Bathed in the liquid running so red
Where my sins were washed away in a moment of time
Now I lie to be smoothed like the stones in the bed

The sweet ripple of the brook is like unto my Saviour

Soothing my soul with His gentle voice
Like the stream of life flowing from His mountain
The babbling brook causes me to rejoyce

Oh babbling brook may you ever flow

Your singing waters sweep over your bed
Until I rest some day in God's heaven
Where the river of life will flow there instead


No comments:

Post a Comment