Monday 5 February 2024

THE TIRED OLD GARDENER


He sat silently on his bench

A far away look in his eye
Thinking of younger days
He remembered with a sigh

He spoke softly the old gardener

As the sun kissed his face
Between you and me dear Lord
We sure made this a beautiful place

With the green of the lawn

I mow with effort and care
And the shrubs and the flowers
That I planted everywhere

You give me a half acre Lord

And for that I thank you
But I let you look after some it
There was too much for me to do

You filled your half with docks

Nettles briars and weeds
While I sweated in mine Lord
Doing all my deeds

But I knew you were a wildlife gardener

And you sure made a great success
Only if I had done the same in mine
I think it would have looked a real mess

But I know you helped me Lord

When flower seeds I did sow
There was nothing more I could do
Only watch you make them grow

Thank you dear Lord for the pleasure

And the joy you give me in my garden
But most of all for sins removed
When you give me your full pardon

Now Lord I'm old and bent with care

With muscles all taut and pain in my back
I can hardly move or bend down to weed
Every part of my body hurts with an ache

Oh Lord forgive me my flowing tears

As I sit here quietly crying
For I cant work this land anymore
And my spirit is slowly dying

I long for your garden up above

Where the roses they bloom forever
Where I shall sit beside the crystal water
And that place I shall leave no never

Take your gardener home Lord

You know he has done his best
Then the tired old gardener breathed his last
God had taken him home to rest


 

No comments:

Post a Comment