Thursday 8 February 2024

THE OLD HOME


 

I knew your age was old

A hundred years or more
I remember your roof of thatch
And the red painted wooden door

Heavy stones built your walls

White washed a snowy white
Your windows set at front and back
To let in a little light

I remember the open hearth

A peat fire burning aglow
The icicles hanging from the thatch
When the winter brought frost and snow

A tiley lamp hanging from the ceiling

Its mantle burning warm and bright
Or the oil lamps set in the bedrooms
lit up to brighten the night

A chaff mattress to sleep on

The old walls damp and wet
Though a fire warmed the living room
The bedrooms were never het

You were basic my dear old home

No running water to a tap
The howling winds would blow at you
And crept through ever gap

Of course things changed through the years

A Wellstood stove stood to cook upon
My father took of your roof
And all your thatch was burnt and gone

Now the rain it beat upon the tin

Or hailstones rattled there
All of the family could speak of you
And many memories share

But I could never stop writing

If I shared all the tales of home
And this prose I am penning
Would be a never ending poem

But my heart now aches with pain

For I watched a digger one day
Load you into trailers
And they took you all away

Not a stone of you they left

It's as if you were never there
The place where you stood
So empty now and bare

Old house we knew no better

You were never a mansion grand
But you were home to all of us
This rag taggle Moffett band

I fancy that our bodies

Are buildings made of clay
Creaking now and old
And we will lay them down some day

The world will look for us

Our faces to gaze upon
But all they will see is nothing
For our bodies will all be gone

But also I know in my heart

A new body will be given one day
And a mansion it is waiting
When God calls us away

Old home we loved you

How heartbreaking was your end
But a glorious home is waiting for me
When to Heaven I shall ascend


No comments:

Post a Comment